Come On

Perry E. Metzger perry at imsi.com
Fri Jul 22 06:37:48 PDT 1994

Cyber City says:
> CypherPUNKs is an offshoot of the cyberpunk paradigm, which can be
> stated as "high tech/lowlife".

Huh?

Where did you get that idea?

So far as I know, the name was picked because it was catchy because
the word "cyberpunk" was already in use. Most of us are not "punks" in
any real sense of the word (although of course some might be; there
are people on this list with dozens of different points of view and
lifestyles). I'm not an "offshoot" of anything, certainly not of a
William Gibson novel, and beyond all that, the notion that "cyberpunk"
was something real and not just a term for a style of SF novel has
very little support to it outside of certain cheap flashy magazines.

Perry