HR3937 Export Admin. act status

Stanton McCandlish mech at eff.org
Thu Jul 21 09:23:31 PDT 1994

Not voted on yet, in discussion on House floor TODAY (Thu. 07/21/94).
We've seen a draft of one possible proposed ammendment, but it is far
weaker than the original crypto language.

Flowchart:

Original HR3627 (Cantwell bill)

passed by Foreign Affairs Cmte & combined with HR3937 (more general Export
 Administration Act)

 gutted by Intelligence Cmte

 passed by Rules Cmte in gutted form

 passed into House for final amendments if any (NOW)

 passes or fails vote (today probably)

The next to last spot is where we're at now, and the prospects are grim.
The only proposed amendment we've heard yet does very little, and even it
is expected to be rejected.   Looks like we'll all be going through this
again next year.

--
Stanton McCandlish * mech at eff.org * Electronic Frontier Found. OnlineActivist
F O R   M O R E   I N F O,    E - M A I L    T O:     I N F O @ E F F . O R G