Ms. Nym's stigmata

Kragen J. Sittler xentrac at cybele.unm.edu
Tue Jul 19 16:20:03 PDT 1994

catalyst-remailer at netcom.com:
> A quick review of the patent stigmata:
>
> > I have been reading some fascinating interpretations of these and
> > other prophecies lately.
>
> Frequent Biblical allusions, particularly fond of apocalyptic references.
>
> >                    I think your cause for privacy would actually be
> > *advanced* by promoting an ID *card* under the following condition:
>
> Attempts to mask underlying obsession with veneer of rationality.
>

> > Anyone can obtain as many ID cards as they want.
>
> Fixation on multiple personalities (tentacles, "pseudo-anonymity").

But she doesn't demonstrate the maniacal hatred for multiple
pseudonyms that LD did.  In fact, she's supporting them.

> > Before you accuse me of heresy, consider the system of email address
> > privacy that was championed earlier by Perry Metzger: you can get any
>  [ and later ]
> > Well, I do not appreciate threats in my mailbox such as "Go away--I'm not
> > as gentle as Perry Metzger". I can't believe how torqued-up all you guys
> > are. This mailing list is like a firing range.
>
> Frequent mention of Perry Metzger.
> Standard unit of torment: Perry Metzger.

Someone sent the mail she mentions.  I think that it was an excellent
example of 'extreme go-away mail'.  It's not her fault that the person
who sent the most militant message of paranoia mentioned pmetzger.

I don't think the few mentions of him in what she has posted have
exceeded normal levels.

> > system with government? Or do you just want to get rid of governments,
> > and use "privacy" as the reason? Yikes.
>
> Tireless apologist and supporter of government.

This sounds like what an average person would say if you showed them
messages saying things like 'the reason I like crypto is that it's a
hammer with which to smash the State.'  She doesn't sound like a
'tireless apologist and supporter'; she sounds like a non-anarchist.

> > People, you may successfully get me to lose this account for no reason.
>
> Paranoia never far below the surface.

She's telling the truth.  She's recognizing the reality that if a
couple of hundred people complain about her being LD, it's likely that
support at netcom is likely to terminate her account with extreme
prejudice, without listening to her insistence that she's not.

I don't think that's paranoid.  Do you?

Kragen