New Money design announced

Sandy Sandfort sandfort at crl.com
Sun Jul 17 11:25:51 PDT 1994

C'punks,

		HOW TO READ NEWSPEAK

On Sun, 17 Jul 1994, Sue D. Nym forwarded an AP story:

>     ``Our plan ... is a pre-emptive step to protect U.S. currency
> from high-tech counterfeiting,'' Treasury Secretary Lloyd Bentsen
> said in announcing the redesign Wednesday.
>     His department plans to have a final design ready sometime in
> 1995 and begin circulating new bills about a year later, starting
> with the most popular target for counterfeiters, $100 notes.
> . . .

Nope, it's the $20 note.  However, "money launders" prefer the more
compact C-note.  And anyone leaving the country with much cash is
presumptively a money launder, nowadays.

> . . .
>     Other likely changes include:
> . . .
>     -- Micro-printing and machine-detectable threads or fibers in the
> paper.                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> . . .

Read, "computer readable."

> . . .
>     Bentsen stressed that old money will continue as legal tender.
>     ``The redesigned currency will be introduced over a period of
> years and no U.S. currency will be demonetized, devalued or
> recalled,'' he said.

Read, "At some unspecified date, old U.S. currency will be demonetized,
devalued or recalled.  Those holding old currency will be given a short
grace period to exchange old cash for new.  When making the exchange, they
will be required to present ID and, explain why they have cash and where
they got it.  Improperly explained cash will be confiscated and the
holder my be charged as appropriate."

Don't believe it?  What did Johnson say just before silver was removed
from US coinage?  For bonus points, what did Nixon say two weeks before
he closed the gold window to foreigners and devalued the dollar?

If you know the correct way to read government pronouncements, you will
rarely be caught off guard.

 S a n d y