INFOBAHN PANEL SEES WORLD THROUGH [..] BLINDERS

Jim Miller jim at bilbo.suite.com
Thu Jul 14 16:04:40 PDT 1994

I'd like to correct a misunderstanding.

In the original "INFOBAHN PANEL SEES WORLD..." post I said that the ILA
report was included in a fax from the Center for Strategic and
International Studies (CSIS).  First, I was not an original recipient of
the fax.  I obtained the fax (and ILA report) via a forwarded e-mail
message so I can't say for sure that the original CSIS fax included the
copyrighted ILA report.  I originally thought the ILA report was part of
the fax.  I now suspect the ILA report was not sent with the CSIS fax but
instead was placed in the forwarded e-mail message by one of the multiple
forwarders.

Just felt like clearing that up.  Nobody at CSIS is demanding an apology
or anything like that.

Ok.  Onward.

The reason I posted the ILA report:

I fear that the desire to minimize electronic copyright violations will
give corporations an incentive to work with government to devise methods
to "control" the content of the Infobahn.  Now, I don't believe they could
ever completely succeed at controlling the content of the Infobahn, but I
do believe they sure as hell will try.

Do you really think the politicians of the world will just sit back and
say "Well, we really can't prevent electronic copyright violations, so we
wont even try"?  More likely they will try many different things.

I'm hoping the ILA report will prompt a discussion of the possible
approaches the government may take to control the content of the Infobahn,
and the side affects of said approaches.

Jim_Miller at suite.com