National ID cards are just the driver's licenses on the Information

Perry E. Metzger perry at imsi.com
Thu Jul 14 14:03:58 PDT 1994

Timothy C. May says:
> > "You can buy heroin in maximum security prisons."  Controls don't
> > always work.
>
> Well, of course. But this doesn't make the prospects of "internal
> passports" (as I think it was you who dubbed them...or maybe Sandy)
> any less likely, or any less worthy of fighting.

The following is worth mentioning: market forces will eventually
destroy virtually all controls. However, as the Soviet Union showed,
millions of people can be made miserable or killed in the meanwhile.
The mere fact that internal passports (what the ID cards are, really
-- another friend of mine called them that the minute he heard of
them) would not stop everyone doesn't mean that they couldn't make
almost everyone's life miserable.

Perry