PGP bastardization (fwd)

Mike Duvos mpd at netcom.com
Wed Jul 13 23:36:24 PDT 1994

Graham Toal writes:

> While I sympathise 100% with prz's annoyance at this hack, I should
> remind him that he *did* put pgp out under the GPL and anyone is free
> to modify it in any way they chose as long as they too release it
> under the GPL.

> He has no legal comeback

I'm not so sure.  The code was released under the GPL.  The names PGP,
Pretty Good Privacy, and Phil's Pretty Good Software were not.

People can make anything they want out of the code, as long as they
also release it under the GPL and call it something else.

Doesn't seem like a major artistic limitation.

     mpd at netcom.com     $    via Finger.                      $