Singularity... what is it?

Perry E. Metzger perry at imsi.com
Wed Jul 13 07:49:20 PDT 1994

Jeff Gostin says:
> tcmay at netcom.com (Timothy C. May) writes:
>
> > On the Singularity, I've already said a fair amount.
> What _is_ Singularity? It's not a term I'm familiar with.

The notion that the rate of progress is increasing, and the increase
in the rate is also increasing, so at some point in the next century
more change will occur per hour than occurred in all of human history
to, say, now. "The Singularity" is the point at which the world
becomes not merely odd but incomprehensable TO US. Presumably those
alive at the time will not really notice.

Perry