Trashing the list? What motivates people?

Jim choate ravage at bga.com
Sun Jul 10 08:44:04 PDT 1994

> be not reading much of what gets posted here. I, for one, have many
> dozens of time (maybe hundreds of times, since 1992) referred to
> articles in sci.crypt, talk.politics.crypto, alt.security.pgp, etc.

I had made earlier about not seeing such references unless they  came
from a newsgroup with crypt  in it somehow.

> times--is clearly grinding an axe. Lashing out at the list as being
> full of good-for-nothings simply because of complaints about these
> articles is absurd.

I didn't lash out at anyone. I posted a set of materials I thought some
might find interesting. If folks like you had left it alone that would
have been the end of it. I would not have made any further communications
on it. However, a certain clique of c-punks seem compelled to reply to
every damn post that gets sent on there, and do it ad nauseum. If the
traffic is too high try not replying unless it is a positive contribution.
But, because you folks apparently have nothing  better to do  we have
managed to generate a set of list traffic that vastly exceeds the original
forwards.

> As for the first point, that many suggestions are made but then not
> carried out, this is the nature of all discussion groups I've ever
> seen. After all, we're not being *paid* to do all this. We're not
> organized into teams, and so on.

Reminds me of the years I worked in a science museum and people were always
coming around with new projects for me to  do. My general responce became   to
point them to the shop and tell them to have at. I have little respect for
people who have nothing better to do than tell others how to spend their time.
If the suggestion is that great, carry it out yourself.

> involved in any of these projects, or giving us insightful analyses of
> trends, developments, and technical details, I don't think he's in a
> position to condemn the rest of the list.

I didn't condem the list or anyone else for that matter.

> People who lash out at the list, calling the list a place for people
> who never do anything, are revealing their own failures of
> imagination.

I *NEVER* said that or anything like it. Geesh, speaking of imagination.

> I can't see why they choose to remain on the list if they despise it
> that much.

see the line above.

> --Tim May
>
> --
Tim,

you really should  quite drinking or whatever, you are seeing things.