NII, NSA and Computer Security Act of 1987

David Koontz koontzd at lrcs.loral.com
Fri Jul 8 22:27:57 PDT 1994

Newsgroups: alt.poltics.org.nsa,alt.politics.datahighway,comp.org.eff.talk

>Who the hell co-opted NII for National Security?  Every discussion to date
>(at least on the internet) has shown no link to National Security, which
>should be the only way NSA is involved.

For A contrast see the July/August issue of INFO SECURITY NEWS there are
several articles on security of the NII.

The only person appearing to be aware of any implied EES type protection
is Rep. Edward Markey, (D-MA) who is quoted in Info Highway Security
VIEWPOINTS:
---
On securing NII: "We need to conduct a full debate on the Clipper chip and
encryption issues so that people can protect their data and their privacy."
---
[He is in favor of applying the Bill of Rights to cyberspace]

No one else supports Clipper/Capstone as a serious contender, and a
good number of interviewees see the role of government in the NII as
limited.

There are several applicable articles.