(fwd) Re: BSD random() - any good (source included)

Bill O'Hanlon wmo at digibd.com
Fri Jul 8 14:00:41 PDT 1994

On Fri, 8 Jul 1994 15:05:22 -0500 (CDT)  Jim choate wrote:
--------

> Bottem line is that at this point there is no clear cut 'standard' that I
> have seen agreed on. Hell, I haven't even seen any discussion over it beyond
> a bunch of polemics over what people like and don't like, which are not
> in any way necessarily related to what people need or want.

The reason for this is that people can usually get a hint; there's been no
need for a formal standard, because when someone does something irritating
several people shout, and the person has (with a couple of wild exceptions)
quit the irritating behavior.

You don't seem as far around the bend as either of the wild exceptions that
come to mind (Detweiler and that weird fellow that raved for about two weeks
two months ago) so I'm guessing you wouldn't want to be lumped in with them.
But by continuing to defend what obviously irritated a half dozen people,
with plenty more like me agreeing but unwilling to join in the fray to
compound the problem, that's what you're courting.