Van Eck Detection

Martin Spellman mspellman at cix.compulink.co.uk
Sun Jul 3 10:04:16 PDT 1994

> > To: cypherpunks at toad.com
> >
> > I've heard rumors through the years that CIA/NSA/whoever can aim a
> > parabolic antenna at your window, read the electronic pulses
> surrounding> your computer, and thusly determine what you are typing.
> Is there any> truth to this?

> How far away, and whether a van parked a block away can do it, is
> unknown to me. There are people on this list who have done
> this...perhaps they can comment anonymously.
>
> Note that the TEMPEST spec for shielding equipment is directly related
> to this.

In Britain we have 'TV detector Vans'. These are to detect licence
evaders (you need to pay an annual licence for the BBC channels). They
are provided by the Department of Trade and Industry. They use something
like a small minibus and use Van Eck principles. They have two steerable
detectors on the van roof so they can triangulate. But TV shops have to
notify the Government of buyers - so that is the basic way in which
licence evaders are detected.
I read of a case on a bulletin board where someone did not have a TV but
used a PC. He got a knock on the door. They said he appeared to have a TV
but they could not make out what channel he was watching!

Martin Spellman
<mspellman at cix.compulink.co.uk>