Visual Passphrases

Kent Borg kentborg at world.std.com
Sun Jul 3 01:18:48 PDT 1994

tcmay at netcom.com writes:
>P.S. I'm not hung up on passphrases as a major weakness. I think theft
>of keys and keystroke capturing on compromised machines are much
>more important practical weaknesses.

Certainly passwords are not the only threat, and the rarity of Tempest
equipment at the local computer store does mean that the TLAs keep an
ability to spy on anyone they can aim an antenna at, but for some
folks (read: most folks) there might be much easier ways.

I actually don't worry so much about RF monitoring because the natural
evolution of computers is slowly killing emmisions.  Particularly for
battery operated equipment and equipment near OSHA inspectors.

-kb

--
Kent Borg                                                  +1 (617) 776-6899
kentborg at world.std.com
kentborg at aol.com
          Proud to claim 31:15 hours of TV viewing so far in 1994!