Remailer Tearline Conventions

Eli Brandt ebrandt at jarthur.Claremont.EDU
Mon Jan 31 13:04:33 PST 1994

Bill Stewart said:
> Julf's anon.penet.fi remailer  cuts off anything resembling a signature,
> using the convention that a -- line (or maybe an all-dash line?)
> is a signature, since some of the common mail and news programs use that,

Picking any fixed sig marker is likely to cause problems -- notice
how often anon.penet.fi messages show up truncated due to a line of
hyphens.  A more flexible possibility: allow an X-Sig-Marker: header,
which specifies a pattern/regexp to strip after.  Actually, the
sig marker line itself should be stripped as well, in case it
contains identifying information.

> formal and mimeish, or a simpler '--truncate here--' sort of line
> that gets retained across remailing so additional junk doesn't accrete.

I don't see the problem you're guarding against.  Could you explain?
Seems that sig elision needs to be done once, by the first hop, and
then you're home free.

   Eli   ebrandt at jarthur.claremont.edu