Applicability of ITAR

Mephisto an52436 at anon.penet.fi
Mon Jan 31 04:03:00 PST 1994

Hi,

A quick, and quite possibly stupid, question:

As an American living overseas, how applicable is ITAR to me?  Since I'm
already in a foreign country, does this also mean that I shouldn't be able to
receive any cryptographic software/books?  Does this, in a strict
interpretation, mean that if I show my books on cryptography to my friends
here that I am breaking the law -- even though these books are publicly
available in the states?

I imagine that the answer is that the law applies to me just as much here as
it would were I living in the US still, but I'm curious....

						Mephisto
To find out more about the anon service, send mail to help at anon.penet.fi.
Please report any problems, inappropriate use etc. to admin at anon.penet.fi.