Archiving mail-lists...

Michael C. Berch mcb at net.bio.net
Sun Jan 23 16:46:33 PST 1994

Jim choate <ravage at wixer.bga.com> writes:
> [Plan to archive Usenet on CD-ROMs]
>
> I would be interested in a discussion on the mail-list on this issue. Please
> refrain from sending personal mail. In particular do you think such a archive
> without every members permission is un-ethical? Would a archivist necessarily
> need the permission of the mail-list sponser?

Actually, I would like *not* to discuss this on Cypherpunks, not
because it is not an interesting subject, but because this issue (and
related issues such as archiving/republishing FAQs) are being
discussed in a number of other places, notably the faq-maintainers
mailing list, several of the news.* groups intermittently, the
moderators mailing list intermittently, and some of the legal-interest
groups on Usenet.

Besides, cypherpunks is already very high-volume (even if you don't
count the Detweiler spew) and the issue is really not that closely
related to the purpose of the list (though there are some tangential
points).

--
Michael C. Berch
mcb at net.bio.net / mcb at postmodern.com