Archiving mail-lists...

Jim choate ravage at wixer.bga.com
Sun Jan 23 12:08:27 PST 1994

My class C slip feed costs $300 to setup and thereafter is $75/month.
Individual accounts are $75/yr. This is the same fee schedule that I will be
charging those who would like accounts on ssz.com (my system).

If a person distributes a copyrighted material over a world wide distribution
network like internet and doesn't ask for notification of archiving or some
form of fair use fee I doubt any claims they would have will stand up in
court. I am not trying to make money off this venture and I am not making
money in particular from their specific work so they would have a hard time
maing a case of theft of services or plageriasm (I am making no claimi that
it belongs to me). Besides libraries routinely make backups of material for
educational use, I had planned on doing the same.

Since I am an individual (who some would claim to being amoral at best) I
plan on at least attempting a full archive of every public access byte that
comes into ssz.com over a one year period. Because of costs constraints I may
change to tape but don't see this as a real eventuality. My system sells
access to internet and we do not alter or monitor any material that comes
over it. While I would assisst any law enforcement agency who feels that a
illegality has been committed I doubt strongly that a case could be made
against me personaly (without also starting prosecution against the other
.com sites out there w/ similar policies - bga.com and ripco.com come to mind
immediatly). This would be similar to suing Ma Bell because a pedophile used
the phone to transmit graphics.

I already have access to a satellite link, but thanks for the suggestion.

Seems to me that if a person places a post on a public access newsgroup
withoug a copyright it automaticaly becomes public domain and they loose all
commercial rights to it. I would be interested in a public discussion of thsi
point and will move over to the newsgroup you mentioned.

I was aware of the Canadian project, there is obviously room for more such
projects.

Thanks for your input.