Mr. Remailer Operator Responds

Matthew J Ghio mg5n+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Sun Jan 23 11:36:33 PST 1994

Detweiler says:

> Cypherpunks, a year ago, and for many months, you essentially said
> to me: there is nothing illegal in ASCII text alone. But you have
> screeched and shrieked at me and my postmaster and anyone who
> will listen to you that anything *I* write is a violent death threat,
> harassment, a libelous post that is ILLEGAL and that I should be
> CENSORED.
> imagine that a certain string of letters is illegal! That it should
> cause the author to be *censored*! *even* if he used a remailer!
> What a shocking concept!

Look, I've tried to stay out of this, but since you're obviously not
intending to stop, let me make a few points clear.  There is nothing
illegal in ASCII text alone.  You have a right to say (or type) whatever
you want to whoever wants to listen (or read it).  That doesn't mean we
have to listen.  I don't have to read your drivel.  So, yes, I have the
right to "censor" your posts from what I read. Your right to freedom of
speech does not mean you have the right to invade our mailing list with
messages which are not on topic.  So, go ahead and post whatever you
want - just don't post it here.  Start your own mailing list.

If you persist, we will eventually throw you out, block your posts, or
otherwise prevent you from interrupting our discussion here.  So I'm
going to ask you to please stop now.  Of course, you can keep at it, and
eventually another mailing list will be created, with posting
restrictions and protections that will keep you out.  You won't gain
anything by forcing us to do that, except accumulate a few more enemies.
 So why not quit while you still have access here?