RSA 'weak link' in PGP?

FutureNerd Steve Witham fnerd at smds.com
Fri Jan 21 10:16:55 PST 1994

I just got (what I think is) the alt.security.pgp faq.
I quote:
    ...the IDEA encryption algorithm used in PGP is actually
    MUCH stronger than RSA given the same key length.  Even with a 1024 bit
    RSA key, it is believed that IDEA encryption is still stronger, and,
    since a chain is no stronger than it's weakest link, it is believed that
    RSA is actually the weakest part of the RSA - IDEA approach.
Confirmation?

-fnerd
quote me

- -
cryptocosmology- sufficiently advanced communication is indistinguishable
                 from noise - god is in the least significant bits