Explanation of "Snake Hunt"

W. Kinney kinney at ucsu.Colorado.EDU
Mon Jan 17 06:38:59 PST 1994

Don --

> Will please get back to me as soon as possible on this thing.  Your not the
> only person that had told me the same thing as far as not knowing anything
> about "Snake Hunt". Below I will send you a copy of the Add and a letter
> from a guy on The Safety net where the Add first showed up.
>
> Also while I'am thinking about it I also got a mail message from some BUTT
> brain called Medusa. He or She sent me a real ungly E-Mail. If you know this
> person tell them not to do it again...It seems like it all started when I
> asked about this Snake Hunt thing. I don't know whats going on but I don't
> like it at all...

This is a little weird, ok? "Cypherpunks" is a cryptography mailing list.
One of the people from the list has been slowly going insane, becoming
convinced that everyone on the list from California are actually _one_
person posting through multiple identities in order to (a) take over the
world, (b) destroy the internet, and/or (c) drive him insane.

He refers to this supposed entity as "Medusa", and all his/her supposed
fake identities as "snakes" or "tentacles", and has been waging a
campaing of strange internet tricks to try to discredit all the supposed
fake "tentacles of Medusa".

The BUTT brain's (couldn't have put it better) name is L. Detweiler, and
his email address is ld231782 at longs.lance.colostate.edu. Complaints to his
postmaster have met, appropriately, if unfortunately, with references to
the first amendment. But please get the word our to everybody in your
corner of the net that this guy is a nut. And flame his ass but good.

Have a swell day.

                                  -- Will