Updated/corrected posting

Phil Karn karn at qualcomm.com
Tue Jan 11 16:05:21 PST 1994

>*Anyone* with a grudge (and access to this kind of stuff) can send you
>a package in the mail and tip off the postal inspectors.  Short of the
>obvious (don't make enemies!) how can you protect yourself from this
>kind of attack?

This sounds like the standard KGB practice to frame "spies". Have an
agent posing as a dissident ask you to carry a letter to the
West. When it changes hands, pounce. Then conduct a show trial
"proving" that "secret" information changed hands.

I'm seeing fewer and fewer differences between the present-day USA and
the former USSR.

Phil