Twelve year flashback to Admiral Bobby Inman

Fred Heutte phred at well.sf.ca.us
Tue Jan 11 02:06:42 PST 1994

Thanks for posting that, John.  I don't think I particularly want to
ask ONE of my Senators (Packwood) about this, since as far as I am
concerned he is a shame to the nation and my state.  But I will ask
the other one -- Hatfield -- to vote against this nomination.  In
general, I am against career military and/or intelligence operatives
from being Secretary of Defense, because it is important to retain
at least a semblance of civilian control.  (Of course, the way things
really work, it might not make that much difference.  But appearances
*do* matter, and I care deeply about small-d democratic civilian control
of our national government and its agencies.)

Hatfield is no particular friend of the military-industrial complex
(although not especially an opponent either), so it may be possible
to find someone on his staff who is interested in pursuing the *real*
Bobby Ray Inman story.

Fred Heutte
Sunlight Data Systems
phred at well.sf.ca.us
phred at teleport.com
heutte at cse.ogi.edu

"Why make it simple and easy
 When you can make it complex and wonderful!"