Wiping files on compressed disks.

jpinson at fcdarwin.org.ec jpinson at fcdarwin.org.ec
Wed Jan 5 10:29:38 PST 1994

I did a few tests on wiping compressed (Stacker) files:

Sdir, the Stacker directory command, reported a 900k PKZip file
had a compression ratio of 1.0:1  (no compression).

I wiped the file using the same character repeatedly, and sdir
reported the resultant file had a compression ratio of 15.9:1

I wiped another copy of the zip file using sets of increasing
characters (0-255).   After this wipe the compression ratio was
8.0:1

Lastly, I wiped the file using random characters, generated using
Turboc's random() function.

This time, the compression ratio was 1.0:1, the same as the
original.

Sounds like wiping with random characters may indeed be the way
to go to avoid "slack" at the end of the file.

One interesting note:   When I fragmented the original zip file
into 50K segments with a "chop" program, sdir reported that each
segment had a compression ratio of 1.1:1, even though the
original file showed no compression.

When I created 10K segments, I got a compression ratio of 1.6:1

Pkzip however, was unable to compress these file segments at all.

I suspect that Stacker is not really compressing these smaller
files in the normal sense, but is storing them more efficiently
(better sector or cluster size?).

Jim Pinson