standard for stegonography?

Plaz plaz at netcom.com
Mon Feb 28 16:00:54 PST 1994

<Sorry this post was supposed to go to the whole list yesterday. I forgot
to redirect to cypherpunks, oh well.>

Derek Lynn Upham replies to Jef Poskanzer:
>> Is there a standard for stego yet?  I just added stego and de-stego
>> filters to my pbmplus image toolkit, using a simple protocol I made
>> up on the spot.  Now I'm wondering if I should make them compatible
>> with existing stego tools.
>
>There appear to be two existing steganography packages for images.
>One is "jsteg", a Unix-based system which stores data in JFIF-
>compliant JPEG images; it is based on version 4 of the cjpeg/djpeg
>package.  The other is "Stego", a Mac-based system which stores data
>in Mac PICT files (I think---I don't have a Mac to examine it).
>
>"jsteg" is available in the Cypherpunks FTP archive in the
>applications subdirectory as the original jpegsrc package, plus the
>patches, plus a README file.  However, you might be better off
>tracking down the "Stego" sources since "jsteg" stores its data in a
>rather odd way (see the docs for more information).
>
>Derek

jsteg's stores it's data based on the compression algorithm and is tied
tothe format (jpeg, which is a lossy compression format).

Stego (which I contributed to and consulted on) actually has a relatively
format independant way of storing the data in the picture. Stego was
written by Romana Machado (romana at apple.com) Check out the article in the
latest WIRED (p. 26?) and the soon to be released (any day now) bOING
bOING.

Quoted from the stego readme:

>Stego rasterizes the image, then stegs data into the least
>significant bit (or LSB) of each of the RGB color values. (In the
>case of indexed color, Stego stegs data into the LSB of the index
>values.) The file length of the data file to be stegged is hidden
>in the LSB's of the first 32 steggable bytes. To disguise this
>value somewhat, I take the second to least significant bits of the
>second 32 steggable bytes and XOR these with the 32 bit file
>length, and then steg the XOR'd file length into the LSB's of the
>first 32 steggable bytes.

Source isn't really necc., but if you feel you MUST have it: contact
romana at apple.com.