Clipper Death Threat

Mike McNally m5 at vail.tivoli.com
Mon Feb 28 05:38:06 PST 1994

"LYLE, DAVID R." writes:
 > Don't get me wrong.  I am all for private communications.  I'm very
 > much against restricting the public's access to encryption
 > technology. What gets me is when everyone runs around saying "this
 > is a right".

Well, I'd say that the right to use whatever means available to shield
communication from eavedropping is as natural as any other.  It's not
a "right" to be free from attempts to eavesdrop, however.

If the FBI tries to tap my phone, then laws may (or may not) be
violated but no natural rights have.  If, however, I am prosecuted for
attempting to encase my information in a cryptographic strongbox
without providing the FBI the key, then I indeed see that as a
transgression against my natural rights as a person.

--
| GOOD TIME FOR MOVIE - GOING ||| Mike McNally <m5 at tivoli.com>       |
| TAKE TWA TO CAIRO.          ||| Tivoli Systems, Austin, TX:        |