Use of PGP---statistics from the public key servers

Peter Kretzman peter.kretzman at mccaw.com
Fri Feb 25 16:03:03 PST 1994

The following table shows the frequency breakdown, by key generation
month, just over the past year, of the approx. 3300 public keys that
are available on the public key servers (I used the one at
<public-key-server at martigny.ai.mit.edu>).  Note that I've included
revoked keys, but there are only 19 of these from the same time
period.

In other words, of the keys out there, 211 of them were generated in
March of 1993, 216 in April, etc.

I have no idea if these numbers correlate well to actual PGP use
(these are, after all, just the people who are activist enough to
post their key on the public key server, which also requires some
degree of Internet connectivity).  If the numbers DO correlate to
some degree, I thought it was interesting that they appear to show a
recent decline in usage rather than a steady ramp-up.  Is the trend
toward universal crypto slacking off?

        Keys
Month   Generated
------  ---------
 03/93  211

 04/93  216

 05/93  205

 06/93  169

 07/93  167

 08/93  169

 09/93  206

 10/93  287

 11/93  225

 12/93  207

 01/94  148
 02/94  118   (through 2/24/94)

---
Peter Kretzman
---> Note:  NeXT Mail welcome
---> Note: Public key available on request