STEALTH OCEANS

Matt Thomlinson phantom at u.washington.edu
Thu Feb 24 00:25:13 PST 1994

Sergey Goldgaber <sergey at delbruck.pharm.sunysb.edu> writes:

>> might work, except for the fact that fragmentation _does_ go on, and when
>> you were to write files to the drive (heck, I do every time I start up
>> windows and write a huge temp swapfile) you're going to be playing
>> roulette with your data.

>This problem is solved by simply using a utility that writes directly to the
>disk (exactly in the specified sectors, in the specified order), instead
>of letting DOS fragment your disk.

I've been talking to Sergey behind the scenes, and I think I understand
what our miscommunication was: he is proposing this type of technique
ONLY for removable-type media, e.g. floppies.

To store this type of data on your harddrive would be to dedicate your
harddrive to stego. This was my argument all along; what we failed to
connect on was the fact that only floppies are involved. With floppies,
every write *can* be controlled and the data would be relatively safe (and
obscure, for that matter).

This correction is being posted to the list because his original post
said nothing about removable media.

mt

Matt Thomlinson                               Say no to the Wiretap Chip!
University of Washington, Seattle, Washington.
Internet: phantom at u.washington.edu      	    phone: (206) 548-9804
PGP 2.2  key available via email or finger phantom at hardy.u.washington.edu