ADMIN: cypherpunks went down

Eric Hughes hughes
Mon Feb 21 15:16:34 PST 1994

This message counts as a test message.  Please DO NOT respond to it.

Hugh and I took the list down last night.  This is the same list
spewing problem that we had last week, only this time it's worse,
because toad.com just got a CPU upgrade; it's four times faster now.
Sorry.

Please, Please, PLEASE in the future if this happens, DO NOT send more
mail to the list; it only makes the problem worse.  These messages
were started to spew as well.

Send urgent mail about list problems to me, hughes at ah.com, or
postmaster at toad.com.

Many thanks to Hugh Daniel for squashing sendmail processes like
cockroaches.  (He was laughing maniacally for a bit, there, "DIE!,
DIE!")

We managed to catch the problem before it went on for too long.  I
took everyone off the list after backing it up and left only me and
Hugh on it, so most of the problem didn't go to the list.  What
happened was that the sendmails started spawning faster and faster.  I
got a megabyte and a half of repeated mail before we squished
everything.

Eric