Source Level

nobody at soda.berkeley.edu nobody at soda.berkeley.edu
Fri Feb 18 05:41:04 PST 1994

On Fri, 18 Feb 1994, Greg - Kucharo wrote:

>  Eric,
>  In your idea to give usenet users a chance to have competing moderated groups
> with unmoderated ones.Don't you think that the large numbers who want a
> moderated group will kill all demand for the unmoderated ones?Then we would be
> left with only moderated groups,who grated would have more signal to noise but
> less lively debate.People post so much to groups because they know they can in
> a free manner,moderation would slow the onslaught of banal posts and plenty of
> posts from folks who think thier ideas too wild for the moderator.Remember the
> root of moderator is moderate.As in,"This food is moderately good."
>
> Greg.
> kryten at shell.portal.com            "This space available"

	i for one would stick to the UNmoderated groups.  I think that
many people thrive on the chaos there and the openess.  I personally
don't think I would like to have to submit articles for some guys
approval, just something uncool about it to me.  I don't mean uncool,
like fashion, I mean it just doesnt fit with my idea of free exchange of
ideas. I mean no matter how much you stress that the moderator be lenient
and open you are gonna run into problems.  The Inet is full, or should I
say fool, of BIG fuckin egos, and they have a nifty way of clashing.  A
moderator just doesnt fit into my free exchange idea.  Too much like an
"Official(tm)" thing to me, and i don't particulalry take to official
things.  To me the beauty of usenet is the chaos and mass amounts of
info, even the noise that goes flying thru it.  Without that it would be
just like every other stale BBS forum with no edge and no fun.

wow, these remailers are neat