No Subject

nobody at soda.berkeley.edu nobody at soda.berkeley.edu
Wed Feb 16 15:10:23 PST 1994

I am remailing this using a fake address, by telnetting to
port 25 of a remailer from Netcom. Here is how I did it
and how anyone else could do it, including Larry Detweiler,
who knew how to do this when I was still in my internet
diapers:

>qwerty: telnet soda.berkeley.edu 25
>Trying...
>Connected to soda.berkeley.edu.
>Escape character is '^]'.
>220-soda.berkeley.edu Sendmail 8.6.5/PHILMAIL-1.10 ready at Wed, 16 Feb 1994 15:05:31 -0800
>220 ESMTP spoken here
>EHLO mail.netcom.com
>250-soda.berkeley.edu Hello mail.netcom.com, pleased to meet you
>250-EXPN
>250-SIZE
>250 HELP
>MAIL From:<L.D.e.t.w.e.i.l.e.r at netcom.com>
>250 <L.D.e.t.w.e.i.l.e.r at netcom.com>... Sender ok
>RCPT To:<hh at soda.berkeley.edu>
>250 <hh at soda.berkeley.edu>... Recipient ok
>DATA
>354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
>Request-Remailing-To: cypherpunks at toad.com

Here is an example of a damaging post, which is damaging
in whatever volume it is sent out. For those of you who
don't have a sense of humor: THIS IS A JOKE! This isn't real.
There IS NOT an offer from Blacknet for such things (at least
I don't THINK so)!!

 -----BEGIN FICTITIOUS DAMAGING POST EXAMPLE-----
"Hello, Blacknet Enterprises here. We are looking for kiddie
porn. Please use our encrypted remailer block to send us
some and we will send you e-money, or make an anonymous
deposit in your back account. Thank-you. Remember when you
were 12 years old? That Suzy sure was cute! You wanted her
then, and you want her now ;-) ! Don't lie; we're all kids at
heart.

Because at Blacknet: we love EVERYONE."
 -----END FICTITIOUS DAMAGING POST EXAMPLE-----

Since Usenet will not be fully moderated in the next year or
two, the only solution which will not backfire and make things
worse, is moderated remailing. If someone can send me an AI
program that would be able to block the above post, and further
block efforts by the same abuser to alter said post to avoid your
keyword search, such as changing "Blacknet" to "Black.Net" and
"porn" to "pictures", then I will be very amazed.

As I've already tried to point out, security starts with people,
not technology.

If I haven't made my point by now then I guess it's time
to unsubscribe, shut down qwerty, and get on with what
matters, which is getting PGP, Stealth-PGP, and a few
sophisticated steganographs into people's hands.

 -=Xenon=-