Politics, Religion, MUDs, MOOs, the Internet, the Past, and the Future

Stephen Williams sdw at meaddata.com
Wed Feb 16 14:35:27 PST 1994

> Here is some cogent text from James Burke, a guy right at the top of my
> `man-I-wish-I-was-that-smart' list.  He is noted for his television series
> "Connections", "The Day the Universe Changed", "Tomorrow's World", and "The
> Burke Special".

I agree...  Great shows, my favorites.  Should be required in school.

>   *** the first sentence from the Preface ***
>
> You are what you know.
>
>   *** the last five paragraphs in the book ***

> Such a system would permit a type of `balanced anarchy' in which all
> interests could be represented in a continuous reappraisal of the social
> requirements for knowledge, and the value judgements to be applied in
> directing the search for that knowledge.  The view that this would endanger
> the position of the expert by imposing on his work the judgement of the
> layman ignores the fact that science has always been the product of social
> needs, counscioulsy expressed or not.  Science may well be a vital part of
> human endeavour, but for it to retain the privilege which it has gained
> over centuries of being in some measure unaccountable, would be to render
> both science itself and society a disservice.  It is time that knowledge
> became more accessible to those to whom it properly belongs.
>
>   *** end of quoted material ***

I'm left wondering what exactly he was envisioning with this.  Any
thoughts?

sdw
--
Stephen D. Williams  Local Internet Gateway Co.; SDW Systems 513 496-5223APager
LIG dev./sales       Internet: sdw at lig.net sdw at meaddata.com
OO R&D Source Dist.  By Horse: 2464 Rosina Dr., Miamisburg, OH 45342-6430
Comm. Consulting     ICBM: 39 34N 85 15W I love it when a plan comes together