CPSR Alert 3.04 (Clipper Update)

Dave Banisar Banisar at washofc.cpsr.org
Tue Feb 15 12:16:58 PST 1994

    @@@@  @@@@   @@@   @@@@        @    @     @@@@  @@@@ @@@@@@
    @     @  @  @      @  @       @ @   @     @     @  @    @
    @     @@@     @    @@@       @@@@@  @     @@@   @@@     @
    @     @        @   @  @      @   @  @     @     @  @    @
    @@@@  @     @@@    @   @     @   @  @@@@  @@@@  @   @   @

   Volume  3.04                                February 15, 1994

                           Published by
           Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility
                         Washington Office
                     (Alert at washofc.cpsr.org)

                SPECIAL EDITION --- CLIPPER UPDATE

Contents

    [1] Clipper Petition Tops 10,000 Mark
    [2] Safire Slams Clipper
    [3] A Tough Question
    [4] Clipper Facts: Definition of "Tesserea"
    [5] Sign the Clipper Petition!
    [6] New Files at the CPSR Internet Library

[1] Clipper Petition Tops 10,000 Mark

The electronic petition begun by CPSR to oppose Clipper has generated
well over 10,000 responses in two weeks.  The daily signature totals
continue to increase, currently running at almost 2,000 per day!

The number of people who have opposed Clipper already exceeds the
current estimated government orders for Clipper chips.

Other upcoming milestones:

   12,000  Number of computer networks connected to the Internet
   15,000  Estimated number of total lawful wiretaps, 1968-1994
   70,000  Anticipated number of Clipper purchases this year

More details on the petition are re-printed below, just in case you
haven't already forwarded a copy to every person and mailing list you
know.

[2] Safire Slams Clipper

For those of you who might have missed it, William Safire published a
very good essay on the Clipper proposal yesterday (February 14). We're
providing some excerpts here and recommend the piece in its entirety.
Let's hope Safire can do for Clipper what he did for Bobby Inman.

  Well-meaning law and intelligence officials, vainly seeking to
  maintain their vanishing ability to eavesdrop, have come up with
  a scheme that endangers the personal freedom of every American.

            *     *     *

  The "clipper chip" --- aptly named, as it clips the wings of
  individual liberty --- would encode, for Federal perusal whenever a
  judge rubber-stamped a warrant, everything we say on a phone,
  everything we write on a computer, every order we give to a shopping
  network or bank or 800 or 900 number, every electronic note we leave
  our spouses or dictate to our personal-digit-assistant genies.

  Add to that stack of intimate data the medical information derived
  from the national "health security card" Mr. Clinton proposes we all
  carry. Combine it with the travel, shopping and credit data available
  from all our plastic cards, along with psychological and student test
  scores. Throw in the confidential tax returns, sealed divorce
  proceedings, welfare records, field investigations for job
  applications, raw files and C.I.A. dossiers available to the Feds, and
  you have the individual citizen standing naked to the nosy bureaucrat.

            *     *     *

  The only people tap-able by American agents would be honest Americans
  --- or those crooked Americans dopey enough to buy American equipment
  with the pre-compromised American code.  Subsequent laws to mandate the
  F.B.I. bug in every transmitter would be as effective as today's laws
  banning radar detectors.

            *     *     *

  Cash in your clipper chips, wiretappers:  you can't detect the crime
  wave of the future with those old earphones on.

[3] A Tough Question

During the briefing on February 4 at which the formal adoption of the
Escrowed Encryption Standard (aka Clipper) was announced, Mark Richards,
Deputy Assistant Attorney General for the Criminal Division,   was asked
the following hypothetical question:

  Suppose NSA goes to the key escrow agents and says, "We intercepted
  a Clipper-encrypted communication overseas.  No U.S. persons
  were parties, so the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act does
  not apply and we don't need a warrant."  How do the escrow
  agents determine whether or not to provide the keys?  Doesn't
  this create a huge loophole in the system?

Richards' response was that there would be "some" mechanism developed to
ensure that there would be no abuse of the key escrow system, but added
that any such procedures "might not be made public."  The response was
less than assuring.  The development of secret procedures for foreign
intelligence use of escrowed keys does nothing to assure the public of
the system's integrity.  It creates a very real possibility that the key
escrow system will be based upon nothing more than NSA's unilateral
representations concerning the circumstances of a particular
interception.

It was not at all apparent why these procedures couldn't be made public.
Like so much of the Clipper proposal, valid concerns are met with the
claim that "national security" precludes the disclosure of relevant
information.  This is why many of us believe this is a dangerous and
ill-advised way to design our civilian communications infrastructure.

[4] Clipper Facts: Definition of "Tesserea"

The Defense Department reportedly plans to employ the Clipper technology
in a device known as a "Tessera Card."  We checked the dictionary and
found the results to be kind of frightening:

  Terrerea n. Lat. (pl. tessereae).  Literally, "four-cornered".  Used
  to refer to four-legged tables, chairs, stools, etc.  Also, a single
  piece of mosaic tile; a single piece of a mosaic.  _Pol._: An identity
  chit or marker.  Tessereae were forced on conquered peoples and
  domestic slaves by their Roman occupiers or owners.  Slaves or Gauls
  who refused to accept a tesserea were branded or maimed as a form of
  identification.

>From Starr's History of the Classical World and the Oxford Unabridged.
(thanks to Clark Matthews)

[5] Sign the Clipper Petition!

                Electronic Petition to Oppose Clipper
                      *Please Distribute Widely*

On January 24, many of the nation's leading experts in cryptography and
computer security wrote President Clinton and asked him to withdraw the
Clipper proposal.

The public response to the letter has been extremely favorable,
including coverage in the New York Times and numerous computer and
security trade magazines.

Many people have expressed interest in adding their names to the letter.
In  response to these requests, CPSR is organizing an Internet petition
drive to oppose the Clipper proposal.  We will deliver the signed
petition to the White House, complete with the names of all the people
who oppose Clipper.

To sign on to the letter, send a message to:

     Clipper.petition at cpsr.org

with the message "I oppose Clipper" (no quotes)

You will receive a return message confirming your vote.

Please distribute this announcement so that others may also express
their opposition to the Clipper proposal.

[6] New Files at the CPSR Internet Library

The following Clipper-related files are now available at the CPSR
Internet Library:

  NIST Announcement of FIPS-185 (Escrowed Encryption Standard)
  /cpsr/privacy/crypto/clipper/fips_185_clipper_feb_1994.txt

  "Big Brother Inside" Postscript file parody of Intel's logo.
  Perfect for stickers, posters. Designed by Matt Thomlinson.
  /cpsr/privacy/crypto/clipper/big_brother_inside_sticker.ps

  All February 4 White House releases on Clipper are available at
  /cpsr/privacy/crypto/clipper

  An analysis of US cryptography policy by Professor Lance Hoffman
  commissioned by NIST /cpsr/privacy/crypto/hoffman_crypto_policy_1994

The CPSR Internet Library is a free service available via
FTP/WAIS/Gopher/listserv from cpsr.org:/cpsr.  Materials from Privacy
International, the Taxpayers Assets Project and the Cypherpunks are also
archived.  For more information, contact ftp-admin at cpsr.org.

"subscribe cpsr-announce <your name>" (without quotes or brackets) to
listserv at cpsr.org.  Back issues of the Alert are available at the CPSR
Internet Library FTP/WAIS/Gopher cpsr.org /cpsr/alert

Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility is a national,
non-partisan, public-interest organization dedicated to understanding
and directing the impact of computers on society.  Founded in 1981, CPSR
has 2000 members from all over the world and 22 chapters across the
country.  Our National Advisory Board includes a Nobel laureate and
three winners of the Turing Award, the highest honor in computer
science.  Membership is open to everyone.

For more information, please contact: cpsr at cpsr.org or visit the CPSR
discussion conferences on The Well (well.sf.ca.us) or Mindvox
(phantom.com).