Detweiler abuse again

Matthew J Ghio mg5n+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Feb 15 11:09:28 PST 1994

> (As an aside: how do these gateways take the heat?  Should I suggest to
> those complaining to me that my system is intended for email, not
> usenet, anonymity, and that they should direct their complaints to the
> mail-to-news gateways which are the "real" cause of the problem?
> Is this tactic likely to be politically effective?)

No, and it would probably backfire.  If the mail-to-usenet gateways get
abused, the administrators of the gates will probably start blocking
incoming mail, as CMU and Berkeley have done.

(The CMU gateway is outnews+netnews.group.name at andrew.cmu.edu  You can
try it and see what results you get.)

It might be more effective if you bounced messages from detweiler back
to him, CC: postmaster with a notice saying "Due to repeated abuses of
this email service, messages from detweile at cs.colostate.edu are no
longed accepted.  Unsent message follows: