Detweiler abuse again

Theodore Ts'o tytso at ATHENA.MIT.EDU
Tue Feb 15 11:01:42 PST 1994

   Date: Tue, 15 Feb 94 07:47:29 -0800
   From: hughes at ah.com (Eric Hughes)

   I desire the public forum.  I desire anonymous speech.  I desire
   pseudonymous persons.  Usenet does not allow these simultaneously,
   therefore it is broken for me.  Therefore I desire usenet as it is
   constituted now to die...

I admire your honesty; a lot of cypherpunks weren't willing to say this
the last time we had this flame war.

I desire that Usenet live for now, because even though it does not
provide simulatneously the features of public forum and anonymous
speach, it does solve the public forum problem relatively well, and as
such, is providing a certain amount of societal good to the world.

If we want both, then we should design and implement a system that has
both.  It doesn't necessarily follow that it's all constructive to tear
down an institution that does what it was designed to do well, and but
unfortunately doesn't happen meet your new requirements.  Build the new
and better system first, before trying to tear down the old one.

						- Ted