PGP

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Feb 15 00:03:53 PST 1994

I think that, if you are careful, you can safely use PGP on a
networked, single-user machine.  For example, I use PGP on Athena, a
networked series of UNIX machines.  I trust the binary, since I built
it myself, and since there is no one else on my machine when I use
PGP, I am sure that no one is getting my passphrase.  As for my secret
key, well, it is in a facist AFS directory, which isn't close to being
as secure as a floppy, but it means that not anyone can just get it.

Do I feel safe?  Yes.  Would I recommend others here do as I do?  Yes.
Would I recommend people at other sites do as I do?  Depends on the
site.  Netcom?  No.

Just my $.02

-derek