Tracking Contacts with Clipper

K. Sheppard kshep at netcom.com
Mon Feb 14 15:51:31 PST 1994

On Mon, 14 Feb 1994 qwerty-remailer at netcom.com wrote:

> Sandy wrote,
> "Tim asked about "phone remailers" in one of his recent posts.  Until that
> happens, remember that the anonymous phone cards offered by AT&T and
> Western Union (and others) are almost as good.  This is especially true
> if you "chain" call through two or more different phone cards."
>
> Please post details of these. How do they charge you then? Must you use
> a phonebooth?
>
>  -=Xenon=-

You don't "charge". You buy a pre-paid card for a set amount of money or
minutes. For example Safeway was selling "certificates" good for 30
minutes of long distance for $5. Then you dialed the providers number,
entered your certificate number, then dialed in the number you wanted to
reach. Much like using MCI 14 years ago. Using a phone booth, would add
security. I don't know what type of logs would be kept by the provider.
Obviously if they kept a log with caller id info plus the number dialed
then they wouldn't be very secure, espicially since the fact that you
dialed the provider would be recorded. If a pen register was used on
your line, all the info. dialed in would be recorded, including the final
destination number. This would of course be true of a wiretap also. Pen
registers are more common than full scale wiretaps. Use a pay phone, in
concert with the pre-paid cards for maximum security. But of course, the
security of the line on the other end is not guaranteed either. Thus, the
need for non-clipper voice encrption asap.

Kirk Sheppard

kshep at netcom.com

**************   "It is  Better to Die on Your Feet Than to    **************
            		   Live On Your Knees."