Strategies for getting encryption in widespread use QUICKLY

Pat Farrell pfarrell at netcom.com
Sat Feb 12 11:25:31 PST 1994

In message Sat, 12 Feb 94 11:11:09 MST,
  Bryan Ford <baford at schirf.cs.utah.edu>  writes:

> This is another good application, but I think it suffers from the same
> problem as encrypted E-mail messages: as long as it's even a little
> less convenient than no encryption, most people just won't care enough
> to use it.

I agree completely with this. we have to move encryption onto the desktop
PCs and Macs, and make it transparent to the naive users. Eudora and NUpop
are a good start, but aren't transparent when you use PGP or ViaPGP.

I've written a non-TCP/IP Windows POP/SMTP client that will work with
commercial providers such as Netcom and Digex, but I can't get the low
level communications code to work - Window's comm.drv API is too flakey for
me to understand and get working.

I believe that my code is less than a week or two from being ready to
distrubute, if I can get some help with the communications code.
I asked a few months ago, and had one volunteer who didn't deliver.

I'd love to find a cypherpunk willing to work with me to provide some sorely
needed enabling technology.

Pat

Pat Farrell      Grad Student                 pfarrell at gmu.edu
Department of Computer Science    George Mason University, Fairfax, VA
Public key availble via finger          #include <standard.disclaimer>