FLASH: Vice President Gore Questions Current Key Escrow Policy!

Daniel J. Weitzner djw at eff.org
Fri Feb 11 07:20:29 PST 1994

At 10:21 PM 2/10/94 -0800, John E. Kreznar wrote:

>> The Electronic Frontier Foundation is working to protect your privacy.  To
>> help stop Clipper and eliminate export controls on cryptography, support a
>> bill introduced in the House of Representatives, HR 3627.  To support the
>> bill, send email to <cantwell at eff.org>.
>
>I wish I knew how to help you wake up and smell the contradiction here.
>In one breath you acknowledge that government is an enemy of privacy,
>and in the next you encourage acting to endorse and empower that very
>government by petitioning it.
>
>Secede now!  Then your works need not be exported from US because they
>wouldn't be there to begin with!

Part of waking up and smelling the coffee is realizing that there IS a
government out there which makes and enforces laws which have an impact on
all of us.  Now I happen to believe that, on balance, it's a good thing to
have a government that is at least marginally representative.  But even if
I didn't believe that, I would believe that we should be working to change
laws that screw up our lives.

Relying on the government to protect your privacy is like asking a peeping
tom to install your window blinds.    - John Perry Barlow, EFF co-founder

The Electronic Frontier Foundation is working to protect your privacy.  To
help stop Clipper and eliminate export controls on cryptography, support a
bill introduced in the House of Representatives, HR 3627.  To support the
bill, send email to <cantwell at eff.org>.

Daniel J. Weitzner, Senior Staff Counsel              <djw at eff.org>
Electronic Frontier Foundation                        202-347-5400 (v)
1001 G St, NW  Suite 950 East                         202-393-5509 (f)
Washington, DC 20001

*** Join EFF!!!  Send mail to membership at eff.org for information ***