Oh No! Nazis on the Nets

Hadmut Danisch danisch at ira.uka.de
Thu Feb 10 12:20:22 PST 1994

> I will note, however, that the U.S. has far better press freedoms than
> almost any other country on earth, and that Germany is pretty damn bad
> about freedom of the press. I can walk into any book store in America
> and buy a copy of Mein Kampf -- and although I hate Adolf Hitler's
> works, I am happy that I can read them if I so choose. I cannot do
> things like that in Germany.

I don't know at the moment whether it is allowed to sell "Mein Kampf",
but what is the question: One says that in Germany nobody cares
about the right-wing, the other says that you can't buy such books.
What do you expect? Shall we care or not? We can't fight again
right-wing people and sell such books!

I'm sure that american press freedom is not better than german ones.
Seen from Germany, american presidents elections look like a mixture
of a football game and a tv show. Is is possible that we have different
oppinions about 'democracy' ? (I'm sure german elections don't look
better for americans...)

And there is another difference:

In Germany I can get my Cryptosoftware from whereever I want,
I can give my software to whereever I want and I can write
a PhotoCD decoder. [ ;-) ]

In Germany it is always surprising what american people don't
know about Germany. How many of you think that we wear
trousers of leather, eat Sauerkraut and have women with
blond plaits and name "Gretchen" all the time, not without
a "Kuckucksuhr" at the wall?

Hadmut