I support HR 3627

/G=Scott/I=M/S=Braden/OU=nsic1/O=DOS/PRMD=ALCANET/ADMD=TELEMAIL/C=US/ at alcatel.aud.alcatel.com /G=Scott/I=M/S=Braden/OU=nsic1/O=DOS/PRMD=ALCANET/ADMD=TELEMAIL/C=US/ at alcatel.aud.alcatel.com
Wed Feb 9 07:17:21 PST 1994

February 9, 1994

Dear Rep. Cantwell,

I support HR 3627, because I strongly believe in every
American's right to privacy.

In our burgeoning global markets, American businesses must
rely on secure communications to prevent industrial
espionage. If the Clinton Administration succeeds in
dictating that only the "Clipper Chip" can be exported, it
will effectively strangle any other means of secure
communications.

In a competitive global market for technology and
communications, I think it is crucial that American
businesses retain the right to produce the products and
security solutions that their customers want, free of the
restrictions and demands of government controls and
snooping.

Rep. Cantwell, this is not an arcane technical issue of
export control. The freedom of Americans to be secure in
their communications from unwarranted government intrusion
is essential to our liberty. I think this is one of the few
issues that both Republicans and Democrats agree upon, so I
hope you will be able to generate bi-partisan support for
your bill.

Sincerely,

M. Scott Braden
1242 Briarcove