Crypto Regulation Reform

Jim Miller jim at bilbo.suite.com
Tue Feb 8 20:32:13 PST 1994

Robert Cain writes:

> We shall see.  I contend that with this I can establish a
> spoof-proof point to point with a total stranger to any
> desired probability that a spoof could not be there
> without disclosing him/her.

Page 44 of "Applied Cryptography" discusses a point to point *public*
key exchange protocol called the "Interlock Protocol" (invented by
Ron Rivest and Adi Shamir).  This protocol is an attempt to foil the
man-in-the-middle attack.  The protocol does not provide a %100
guarantee against man-in-middle, but it does make it much harder (or
so says the book).

Perhaps Robert's device really uses a variation of the Interlock
Protocol, and not Diffie-Hellman (mentioned only as a red herring?).

<shrug>

Jim_Miller at suite.com