A Nice Summary of Motives for Clipper

Patrick May Patrick_May at dtv.sel.sony.com
Mon Feb 7 15:36:30 PST 1994

Timothy C. May writes:
> [Explanation of why Clipper will be prevalent in five years
>  deleted.]

     Mr. May's arguments are eloquent and convincing as usual, but it
occurs to me that one important point is being overlooked in this
discussion: the algorithm will not be a secret forever.

     Even in the worst case scenario, where all major players in the
industry knuckle under to the government (including those currently
planning to use other systems), the situation will be resolved as soon
as either Clipper or one of its designers is reverse-engineered.  The
more widespread is the chip, the greater the blow to the government.
With the algorithm known there is no way to prevent compatible,
non-escrowed, devices from being used, and it would be costly and
embarrassing to attempt to recall 100 million "secure" chips.

     So, how long will we likely have to put up with this abomination?

Regards,

Patrick May     (no known relation, tentacular or otherwise)