Bogus paper on TEMPEST floating around

bill.stewart@pleasantonca.ncr.com +1-510-484-6204 wcs at anchor.ho.att.com
Mon Feb 7 12:50:37 PST 1994

This bogus paper with lots of misinformation about TEMPEST is still around,
though I'm surprised to see it on a NIST machine.  (FTP didn't want to
connect this morning, so I can't be sure it's still there.)
Papers by the fictitious Hagbard Celine can't always be trusted,
though they make good rolling papers if you print them out :-)
But it's clearly a bunch of Discordian Disinformation.

Yes, some of the TEMPEST specs are classified,  it's perfectly legal
to disseminate the publicly available information and technology,
apply it, and use it, and do anything you want to make your equipment quiet.
Even the expansion of the acronym given in the paper was bogus,
and it went downhill from there.

# Bill Stewart  AT&T Global Information Solutions, aka NCR Corp
# 6870 Koll Center Parkway, Pleasanton CA, 94566 Phone 1-510-484-6204
# email bill.stewart at pleasantonca.ncr.com billstewart at attmail.com
# ViaCrypt PGP Key IDs 384/C2AFCD 1024/9D6465