New Remailer Up.

Jon 'Iain' Boone boone at psc.edu
Wed Feb 2 07:00:55 PST 1994

nobody at qwerty.org  writes:

> Greetings.
>
> New remailer: qwerty at netcom.com.
>
> No logs. Only a "counter" that works by appending the word "R" or "ER" to a
> text file so I can get an idea if anyone is using it. However, I'm sure the
> Netcom and other site's mail logs will be enough to track serious abusers
> of anonymity down, without my help. This remailer is dedicated to honest
> people who desire PRIVACY.

  Is the sendmail (I assume you are using sendmail for SMTP services) daemon
  set up so that it *doesn't* log to /usr/spool/mqueue/syslog [or any other
  syslog facility]?  Otherwise, it may well be possible to track the usage
  of the remailer through browsing the syslog logs.

  This is one of the problems (it seems to me) with using a remailer and
  *not* having root access.  Unless you can convince your sysadmin to
  remove the syslog mechanism that sendmail uses, you may be exposing your
  users (presumably by accident).

 Jon Boone | PSC Networking | boone at psc.edu | (412) 268-6959
 PGP Public Key fingerprint =  23 59 EC 91 47 A6 E3 92  9E A8 96 6A D9 27 C9 6C