archiving on inet

Kirk Sheppard kshep at netcom.com
Tue Feb 1 12:45:39 PST 1994

This is not an accurate comparison. A posting on usenet is not the same
item as a program on HBO or the radio. In what way does my internet provider
(netcom) have a "legal" distribution of usenet news, while a cd-rom
provider does not? HBO has paid for the use of the programs it broadcasts
that are produced by others, hence they have a contract between
themselves and the owners of the copyright. No providers of usenet news
have any agreements between themselves and the posters regarding
copyrights. Netcom and all the other internet providers receive postings
"free" and a cd-rom manufacturer has the same "right" to use postings as
any other internet provider.

Kirk Sheppard

kshep at netcom.com

P. O. Box 30911             "It is  Better to Die on Your Feet Than to
Bethesda, MD 20824-0911      Live On Your Knees."
U.S.A.
			    			     - Emiliano Zapata