archiving on inet

Lefty lefty at apple.com
Tue Feb 1 11:45:27 PST 1994

>Usenet copyrightable? I still doubt it. Of course, the only way to
>find out is to file a very expensive lawsuit. Most posters would not find
>their postings worth the expense to sue on copyright. Only a very rich
>dilletante, or someone less rich who is a fanatic on the subject is
>likely to do so.  Also, you would have a hard time answering the
>difference between charging for a usenet feed and charging for a cd-rom,
>again I see little difference except that one is more prompt in time than
>the other. But, again, my newsfeed from a BBS which might be 24 hrs
>delayed, and my netcom account which is much faster and a cd-rom differs
>only as to time removed from the original posting.

So, would you argue, on the same grounds, that you didn't believe that a
movie delivered into your home via a cable feed could be copyrighted?

How about a movie on a laser disk?

Do you understand that there's is a difference between personal use, which
does not infringe copyright, and redistribution, which does?

Are you _sure_ you're an attorney?

--
Lefty (lefty at apple.com)