remarkably bad media

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Sat Dec 31 13:56:08 PST 1994

Responding to msg by perry at imsi.com (Perry E. Metzger) on Sat,
31 Dec 12:39 PM

Perry makes an astute critique about the Peter Lewis article
today on anonymity.  I hope that he or someone takes the time
to write The Times with polite corrections or a cataclysmic
attack.

I would note that the two law professors quoted are active on
mail list Cyberia-L, where many of the cypherpunks issues are
debated from a legal perspective.  Peter Lewis is a subscriber
to that list.

Peter Lewis wrote yesterday about the LaMacchia case dismissal.
 The article was reprinted verbatim today.  It too focussed on
the need for legislation.  (Todd posted Reuter's version.)

Is it any wonder that lawyers are quoted when enhanced law and
order are immanent?  Mike Godwin, of EFF and also a Cyberia-L
subscriber, takes a dissenting view from that presented by
those quoted by Lewis.  Or so I would judge from his posts on
the LaMacchia case.

My one-cent's worth to the anonymity topic is that The NYT may
be drum-beating for legislation to regulate anonymity -- a
characteristicly paternalistic role of the self-important
power-brokering running-dog mad-dog yellow-dog
hyenia-slobbering anarchy-hating media.  Oops, sorry for that
anonymous slip.  Back to totally disinterested objectivity,
eye-of-god, slug-under-rock-safety.

Say, if anyone wants the Lewis article on LaMacchia,

send blank message with subject:  LAM_not