HACK ATTACK

witter at utdallas.edu witter at utdallas.edu
Thu Dec 29 12:03:48 PST 1994

On Thu, 29 Dec 1994, Sandy Sandfort wrote:

> Was I the only one who saw ``Hack Attack'' on the Discovery
> Channel?  The promos were typically sensationalistic.  `In cyber-
> space, there is no privacy.'  `Teenage hackers can read, change
> or destroy your computer files.'  `No one is safe.'  Yada, yada,
> yada.

I had to tape it, but yeah, I saw it. Seemed a bit retro-War Games type
documentary to me also...

> They did do a fair job of defining and distinguishing the terms:
> `hacker,' `phreaker' and `cracker.'  However, I don't recall ANY
> mention of encryption as a means of protecting privacy.

I also noticed that their re-enactor was wearing surgical gloves...?
Seems a little strage since they supposed he was a teenager at home. Then
again, perhaps he knows something about privacy that we do not? (I knew
someone was rating out on me, never guessed it was my keyboard...)
Also, in one of the re-enactment he states," I'm in! I control the
horizontal and the vertical..." yeah buddy, well I've got the brightness
and contrast too...sheesh!

Perhaps The Dicovery Channel would like to know about encryption, etc.
They listed their addres as:

		pheedback at discovery.com

[No signature, but here's my photo..]

. ''''' .