Why I have a 512 bit PGP key

Eric Hughes eric at remailer.net
Tue Dec 27 20:55:04 PST 1994

   From: "Ian Farquhar" <ianf at sydney.sgi.com>

   I take it you mean recompile the binary every time?  Because you'd
   need to have source around to recompile it from, and the attacker
   could modify that source even more easily than he or she could hack
   the binary.  The idea is to make tampering with the binary detectable.

Recompile the binary from newly uploaded source each time.  MD5 source
isn't more than about 10K long.  That's all of a few seconds of upload
time.

   I am pretty much certain that to make such
   a system perfectly secure under these conditions is impossible.

That's right.

Eric