Attacking Norton Encrypt

rishab at dxm.ernet.in rishab at dxm.ernet.in
Fri Dec 23 10:53:13 PST 1994

Regarding the simple question about Norton Encrypt's security (and ignoring
the alt.relationship-counsellor interlude), I believe Norton uses DES (for
'maximum security' or a 'fast proprietary' method for convenience. I don't
think it has the usual errors (password stored in ciphertext etc), but a
brute force attack on DES is beyond the means of most Norton users IAC.

Rishab Aiyer Ghosh                                "In between the breaths is
rishab at dxm.ernet.in                                  the space where we live"
rishab at arbornet.org                                        - Lawrence Durrell
Voice/Fax/Data +91 11 6853410
Voicemail +91 11 3760335                 H 34C Saket, New Delhi 110017, INDIA